Friday, December 4, 2009

pyTivo - Media Server for the Tivo


Its been nearly a decade since I started using Tivo, and it has been one of the few technology appliances that has been popular with my wife.

When I upgraded my trio of DirecTivo players to Tivo HD a few years back, I briefly used the Tivo Desktop, but wasn't happy with the limited video format support for transferring videos. I had upgraded to the Desktop Plus but found that pyTivo was a much more flexible alternative.

A few years before the Tivo HD arrived I was tired of my kids being rough with the DVDs so I had encoded our entire DVD library and stored in on my NAS (now using a Synology DS508 with 7TB of disk space) and was using a dedicated HTPC to drive the videos on the TV the kids watched. Witht he Tivo HD paired up with pyTivo I ditched the HTPC altogether.

With pyTivo allo of the Tivos around the housefull access to my entire Video Library.

Check it out it works on Windows, Linux and Mac

I'm currently using:

No comments:

Post a Comment